Sunday, February 19, 2012

Alfredo Sauce Made From Tofu?!?


One recipe I have always been pleased to find that you can make non-dairy is Alfredo sauce...thank God! I have never been able to eat Alfredo sauce because it was always too heavy with the cheeses and the cream, that I never felt too good afterwards.  The sauce that I make is made with silken tofu.  Silken tofu is an amazing invention because of it's versatility. 

The recipe I use is from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook...with a few of my alterations.  I sometimes make the quick version.  Sooooo easy!  Basically, you throw everything for the sauce in the food processor, heat it up, and cook the fettucini, linguini, whatever pasta you want to use, and combine.  Done!  When I have more time, I usually add sauteed mushrooms, peas, and fresh garlic.  But sometimes, time is not on my side for the assembly of a healthy dish.  

Here's my version with the garlic cloves, mushrooms and peas...the above picture obviously was the quick version...the the quick version recipe follows...

Pasta With Vegan Alfredo Sauce

8 ounces uncooked pasta (I use linguini, fettucini, penne...larger pastas)

2 Tablespoon soy butter (I use Earth Balance)

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup sliced cremini (baby bella) mushrooms

1 cup frozen peas, defrosted

12.3 ounces silken tofu

1/2 cup soy milk (preferably unsweetened, but sweetened works well, too)

1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

black pepper, to taste

grated parmesan or soy parmesan cheese, to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente, drain and set aside.


Melt 1 Tablespoon of soy butter in a medium sauce pan and sauté garlic until tender.

In a separate pan, melt 1 Tablespoon of soy butter and sauté mushrooms until tender.  Set aside.

In food processor, combine silken tofu, soy milk, salt, sauteed garlic, and black pepper, and process until smooth.

Pour tofu mixture back in to the medium sauce pan where the garlic was first sauteed, add the sauteed mushrooms and peas, and simmer until completely heated through.

When sauce is done, pour over pasta, sprinkle on some parmesan cheese, salt and ground black pepper to taste and serve.  Enjoy!

For the quick version...

8 oz uncooked pasta

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

12.3 oz silken tofu

1/2 cup soy milk

1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

ground black pepper, to taste

grated parmesan or soy parmesan, to taste

Cook pasta according to packaged directions, until al dente, and drain.  Set aside.

Combine the garlic powder, silken tofu, soy milk, salt, and black pepper in the food processor and process until smooth.  

Place tofu mixture in a sauce pan and heat through.  

Pour over pasta, sprinkle on some parmesan cheese, and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is so cool Jamie :) It's so bright and cheery and everything. I want to start one on here about loosing weight. I figured if I can keep accountable to the world, I might actually do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) This has actually helped me to cook more healthy dishes, so you have a point!

      Delete