Monday, February 27, 2012

Banana Bread and Guacamole...But Not Together!


It's been crazy around my house, and so the posts have been slowing down...but not stopping so no worries!  I was thinking about maybe doing 1 to 2 a week.  It's hard with kids and keeping up with the house, rehearsals, schooling, and the like...aaahhh, life...

So, I have two recipes I wanted to share.  One is another one of my brothers, and the other is from a cookbook where I changed a few little things....

We'll start with my brother's guacamole.  There's the original version and the quick version.  The first one is the quick one...which is what I have time for most of the time anyways!  I need quick and healthy recipes.  Those are my favorites to share because I know most people are busy.  Healthy eating can be done with little time...

...my son and daughter thought the avocado pits were special...




I made the guacamole the other night to dip our extra tortilla chips from Surf Taco....

Oh boy, that place should go nation wide!  Surf Taco is our local "Mexican fast food" restaurant where you can take out.  It's fast, but it's fresh!  Everything is made right there at the store.  They have fresh salsa, fresh veggies...so good!  They're like Qdoba, Chipotle Grill, and Moe's Southwest Grill.  That sort of place...

...here's the recipe...  

Matthew's Quick Guacamole
2 ripe Haas avocados, pitted and removed from skins

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1 Tablespoon bottled lemon juice

salt and pepper to taste


Combine all the ingredients in your food processor and process until smooth...that's the way I like it...or mash with a fork if you like it chunky.  Serve!



Matthew's Guacamole
2 ripe Haas avocados, pitted and removed from skins

2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced

2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (optional)

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 small onion, finely chopped

1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice OR lime juice OR half each

salt and pepper to taste

several dashes of hot sauce to taste (optional)

1 Tablespoon minced fresh cilantro (optional)

This version you might not want to throw it all in the food processor with the tomato and the onion and all...mash avocados first, then combine everything else into the mashed avocado.  Serve!    





Next I want to share the banana bread recipe.  My family loves banana bread, especially, with some cream cheese.  It's a favorite for breakfast around here!  So, if you got some very ripe bananas...the riper they are, the sweeter they are...make this recipe!

I got this recipe from How It All Vegan but I changed a few little things.  This is another one of those must-have vegan cookbooks.  Some great recipes in there!

Banana Bread
3 ripe bananas, peeled

1 teaspoon bottled lemon juice

1/2 cup apple sauce (the original called for oil...that's too much for me, plus, the apple sauce reduces the fat)

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup wheat germ

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Combine bananas, lemon juice, apple sauce, and sugar in your food processor and pulse until thick and lumpy.  You don't want to mash the bananas until it's smooth.  Pulsing leaves for pieces of banana in your bread...if you like it that way.  If no food processor is available, or you don't feeling like using one, mash bananas with a fork and combine the mashed bananas with the lemon juice, apple sauce, and sugar.


 In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.  Pour the banana mixture into this bowl of the dry ingredients mixture.  Combine until just mixed.


Pour batter into a lightly greased bread pan.


 Bake for 45 minutes.  Once baking is complete, let cool in the bread pan for a few minutes.  When cool, remove loaf from bread pan, slice and serve.


2 comments:

  1. I -love- banana bread! and I love how this recipe doesn't call for nuts, I hate nuts cooked into food; because the texture gets all funky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be in the mood for nuts...I'm not always crazy about 'em either, so I'm right with ya! The original recipe called for dates...and even that added, to me, is like, bleh...ha ha! But anyways, adding nuts raises the calories per slice, too. After doing Weight Watchers for a year and a half, I've become more conscience of calories. If it's not needed, why add it?...My kids had this for breakfast this morning...gotta make more! :) Enjoy it!...And let me know how it comes when you get to make it!

      Delete