Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Calzones, Cutlets, and Sandwich Rolls



I breaded my cutlets yesterday, but we didn't get to eat them.  I'm saving them for tonight's dinner.  On Tuesdays, my son takes gymnastics during the time I make dinner.  We usually get home later than normal dinner time, so we have sandwiches, something from the crock pot or something else quick for dinner.  Last night, my son had a runny nose, and I was just a little iffy with the runny nose and the mats in the gym, so I decided to experiment last night, since I had more time, and do the sandwiches tonight for dinner...we all have some where to be tonight, anyway's...

Above, are the cutlets breaded and ready to go (see February 6th's post on how I made the cutlets).  I did the usual breading that I do when I make eggplant parmesan...flour, egg/milk, and bread crumbs.   

I made rolls yesterday, too, to go with the cutlets.  I used the recipe for Sandwich Rolls...which I made in the bread machine from Uprisings: The Whole Grain Baker's Book.  Very easy...I am still perfecting the roundness of the rolls!  Here's the recipe...

Place the ingredients in your bread machine in this order...I also added 1 tablespoon of wheat germ per 1 cup of flour as explained in my February 3rd post...

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup soy milk

2 Tablespoons honey

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup canola oil

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Be sure to make a "volcano" in your flour for your yeast!

Set your bread machine on the dough cycle.  When the cycle is complete, form dough into a log and divide into 8 pieces.  Round out the 8 pieces and place in a greased bake pan.  

Let rolls rise in bake pan until "puffy."  



















Preheat oven to 375 and bake for 20 minutes.  

I don't think I'll ever buy burger rolls or sandwich rolls again after I found out how easy these are to make.

Now for dinner last night, like I said, I experimented.  I wanted to create my own calzone. 

I had made some "sausage" from scratch a little while back and froze it in 8 ounce pieces...the recipe for the "sausage" I used is called Italian Seitan Sausage from none other than VegWeb.com  :) ...another way to make seitan.  I defrosted what I had previously made and ground up 8 ounces of the "sausage" in the food processor to make it crumbly for part of the filling. 





















Also, for the filling, I made home made ricotta from tofu...I used the ricotta recipe from Vegan Vittles...I used the pizza dough recipe from Vegan Lunchbox...threw 1 cup of chopped frozen spinach, defrosted, and 1 cup of mozzarella into the ricotta, and created my calzones.  I want to post the recipe, but I have to refine a few things first.  




No comments:

Post a Comment