Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!!...Veggie Soup and Vegan Thousand Island Dressing


HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!


It was a low key day for my family.  We're not real big with Valentine's Day, but we sometimes leave little things for each other or make a card or something.  We made a Valentine's E-card video for our parents and my sister-in-law who is stationed in Afghanistan.  My sister-in-law sent us an Edible Arrangement, pictured to the right, sent to our house, which was gone by dinner time.  My husband left me a little surprise gift in the car so that when I went to take my son to gymnastics class, it was waiting for me on the front seat of my car.  It was one of those music cards next to a real rose and a huge Hershey kiss.  It was very, very cute  :)  Then for dinner we had...drum roll please...sandwiches and veggie chips!  So romantic!  Hey, I was pooped by the time we got home from gymnastics!

So, for lunch today, I made a mock "chicken" soup as some would refer to it.  Technically, it's just a vegetable noodle soup, BUT it is very delicious for a quick meal.  I got the recipe from...where else...VegWeb.com.  I made a few little alterations though.  Here's the link to the original recipe.  And here's my variation below...

Mock "Chicken" Noodle Soup 

1 1/2 cups uncooked small pasta (we like a bit more pasta in our soups, and I like to use the cut spaghetti)
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup water
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
3 teaspoons dried parsley
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
4 cups vegetable broth (I use a "chicken" flavored powder from Bulkfoods.com, which is 2 teaspoons per 1 cup of water)

Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente.  Drain and set aside.


In large pot, saute onion in oil until translucent.


Stir in to the pot the water, celery, carrot, parsley, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  Simmer for 5 minutes until vegetables begin to get tender.


Add in the broth and stir.  Simmer the soup on medium for 10 more minutes.

When soup is done, add in the pasta, and serve!  Leftovers are even more delicious the next day!

This morning, I made a vegan Thousand Island dressing for our salad tonight for dinner...which I never got around to assembling...so we'll have the dressing with our salad tomorrow.  My daughter, who's 2 years old, eats her salad up with this dressing recipe!  This recipe belongs to my younger brother, Matthew, who is a pastry chef that LOVES to cook!

Matt's Vegan Thousand Island Dressing

1/4 cup soy mayonnaise (I use Nayonnaise)
3 Tablespoons ketchup
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (I use Annie's)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a a mixing bowl and whisk until well blended.  Serve over a garden salad.    

2 comments:

  1. I love your "chicken" soup recipe! Adding this to my next menu plan!!!
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want, check out the original recipe I linked this post to, as well...you may want to use the fresh parsley and add "chicken" strips, too. It's so easy and quick! Having it for lunch today! :)

      Delete