Saturday, February 4, 2012

I Love My Food Processor!

Ah, Saturdays...there are never two Saturdays alike for this family...today gym and food shopping...I wanted to whip up a quick post with the recipe for smoothies that we make around here for quick breakfasts or lunches...but I had more to throw in.  The smoothie is one of the kids favorite meals.  I got the recipe from Parents Magazine in the September 2010 issue.


1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (I buy Stonyfield) 
1/2 cup soy milk or cow's milk (I buy Silk Original Soy or Nature's Promise Original Soy) 
1/2 cup frozen mixed berries or frozen strawberries chopped up (I buy the big container of strawberries, freeze what we don't eat in a freezer bag, and use them for smoothies)


Process all the ingredients in your food processor or blender.  Pour into a kid friendly cup with a cute straw and serve.


In the afternoon, while I was waiting for my daughter to finish her nap, I decided to try this recipe I found on VegWeb.com for Choco-Banana Ice Cream.  All you need is cocoa powder, pure maple syrup or agave nectar, and a ripe banana.  I doubled the recipe for my family.  It's so simple!  It's a "throw everything in the food processor" recipe.  It tasted like chocolate covered bananas.  It is definitely a must to try!







When the ingredients are done being processed, the consistency will look like melted chocolate ice cream.  Once it was done being processed, I placed it in a container and put it in the freezer.  Every 30 minutes, I took it out to stir it.  Each time, it got creamier and thicker like ice cream.  After that third time of stirring, I left it alone.  

Here is the finished product...

It has the consistency of ice cream with a nice sweet ice cream like flavor.  No sugar and no dairy.  Hubby-tested and approved!  Kids ate it up!

While the ice cream was freezing, we went to Qdoba for dinner.  Fresh Mexican food, like Surf Taco, but different.  I would say Chipotle Grill, Surf Taco, and Qdoba are all in the same category, but all have different flavor, so you wouldn't get bored eating there.  I had the taco salad.  Yummy and filling!  For the four of us, we spent $25, so it is so worth it for a family on a budget!


6 comments:

  1. Jamie~ I LOVE YOUR POSTS!!! Awesome job!!! I continue to look forward to reading them and also trying some stuff with my family as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, cool, thanks Suzanne!! :) I'm really having a good time making them. People ask me questions all the time. I figured this would be the best way to show what I do. It dawned on my Thursday at MOPS when Deena and I were talking. I was like "why not??" ha ha! Enjoy!!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to try that chocolate-banana ice cream! So simple and I love the purity of ingredients!
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was so stinkin' easy!! I have some bananas freezing right now. I wanna try and make some more today! :) Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  3. I guess this info is totally unique.
    johniz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it's not the norm for the average American kitchen, unfortunately! But it's tasty, healthy, and that's what makes the info worth sharing. :)

      Delete