Friday, February 10, 2012

Mac and Cheese and Burgers, Oh My!

I made a couple of things these two days...I would love to share two of the recipes with you today!  


For lunch yesterday, I threw together "Baked Macaroni and Cheez" recipe from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.  There's so many recipes in that cook book I still have to try!  This one, along with others in the cookbook includes raw cashews and jarred roasted red peppers to make the cheese sauce.  Very interesting!  I did make a few changes though...first, I cut the recipe in half because a whole pound of pasta is a lot for my family for one meal.  Second, I only use 1 tablespoon of bottled lemon juice where it calls for fresh lemon juice.  In my experience, 1 tablespoon of bottled lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of fresh juice from a lemon are pretty different.  Anyway's, here's the recipe!


"Baked Macaroni and Cheez"...my version...


1 Tablespoon canola oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
8 ounces uncooked pasta (elbows, shells, penne, etc.)
1 cup water
1/4 cup jarred roasted red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup raw cashews
1 Tablespoon bottled lemon juice
2 1/2 Tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.


Grease a casserole or baking dish and set aside.


Saute chopped onions in the canola oil until translucent.


While onions are sautéing, cook pasta according to packaged directions, until al dente.


When pasta is done, drain pasta and combine with sauteed onions in a medium mixing bowl.


Combine remaining ingredients in your food processor and process until smooth as seen in the picture.


Pour cashew mixture from food processor over the pasta/onion mixture and combine together.  


Pour pasta mixture into your prepared baking pan and bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden, and serve.



For dinner, I made my mother's tofu burger recipe, "Wannabe Burgers" from her cookbook Well, My Kids Eat It.  This cookbook is filled with recipes that I grew up on!  Her stuffed acorn squash recipe is another one of my fave's!  This burger recipe I'm going to share is my hubby's favorite burger recipe.  He claim's it's tastier than any store-bought veggie burger out there...he's a meat-eater...he's always my test.  If I pass with him, than I KNOW the recipe is good!  :)   


We had the burgers on my rolls I made earlier this week with a side of sliced carrots and the Peas and Thank You hummus.  


"Wannabe Burgers"


Combine in a large bowl...
1 - 14 ounce cake extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled (I use Woodstock Farms)
2 cups rolled oat, processed to a flour
1/4 cup dried minced onion flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper




















In a separate bowl, combine these...
2 Tablespoons tamari OR soy sauce
1 Tablespoon ketchup
1 Tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon brown mustard

Then combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients.  With clean hands, mash the ingredients together, and form into 8 balls.

Then with your hands, or a burger press...


 ...form the 8 balls of the tofu mixture into 8 burgers.



Get your griddle or frying pan greased with cooking spray and heated up.  Place burgers on griddle and brown on both sides.  Keep an eye on them, as you don't want them to burn.  Once browned, garnish them, on your favorite burger roll, with lettuce, tomato, or anything else you would put on your burger.  Enjoy!
That's about it for today!  I am making home made pizza tonight for my kids and my babysitter since my hubby is taking me out this evening for the Valentine's Day dinner at my church  :)  I'll share my pizza recipe with you this weekend so be on the lookout!!
  

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks delicious!
    Sharing the good news that I awarded you with a Liebster Blog Award! Go to my site to see what it's all about if it's new to you :)
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thank you :) And thank you for the award! ha ha! This will help me get some more views and hopefully more subscribers. I REALLY appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete