Thursday, February 2, 2012

My First Post!!

This is my first post!  YAY!  So, I have thought about it...I wanted to create a blog that could help people get ideas for their meals by cooking healthier for them and their families.  I sorta have a reputation with quite a few of my friends.  I was raised in a vegetarian home and my parents...my father being a naturopath...are very knowledgable on good health and healthy eating.  I've learned a lot being in that type of household.  So, it seems, my friends consider me the healthy one of the group...I had thought what would be a better way to get the info out all at once when people ask me questions?  Blog it!  I'm not much of a writer so here it goes!!

Today for dinner I whipped up something quick.  I threw together a garden salad topped with my hubby's favorite dressing, Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette and some flax seeds (rich in Omega-3 fatty acids) and raw sunflower seeds (vitamin E), and made vegan grilled cheese sandwiches on my homemade whole wheat bread.  It was pretty good!  The test is always my meat-eating hubby.  He thought it needed a little salt...as usual...but said it was definitely something to make again.  The kids and I eat veg and sometimes I occasionally "cheat" with some seafood when we go out to eat.  At home, I try to cook as vegan as possible.  Anyways, the vegan grilled cheese was a recipe from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak.  There's some pretty tasty stuff in there!  I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested!  I tell people all the time that you'd be surprised how many delicious things you can make with out the help of animal products.  



 Followed by dinner, I whipped up a batch of black strap gingersnaps from the book Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.  This is another book I would recommend.  All vegan cookies!!  YUM!  The other night I had made oatmeal cookies that were awesome!  In the gingersnap recipe, I used apple sauce instead of canola oil to cut down the fat.  Usually, oil and apple sauce in cookies, brownies, and cakes act as a binder like an egg would.  Side note, for every one egg, you can use 1/4 cup of apple sauce in most baking recipes.  I also like to use organic sugar instead of regular sugar because it is not bleached and chemicals are not added to it.  Plus, from what I have read, your regular white sugar has been made by using charred animal bones as a filter to remove color and impurities from the sugar cane.  I'm not too fond of that...


  


Something to add...have you ever tried to use tahini?  It is a pain because the stuff comes hard with the oil on top.  How many t-shirts have I ruined trying to stir it?!?  Oil everywhere!  Yesterday, I discovered something...and people probably already have thought of it...but if you don't know  about this, take your whole container of tahini and through it in the food processor.  Process it and pour it back in to the container it came in.  It comes perfect!  No stirring required!  



4 comments:

  1. Good hint on the Tahini. I have the same problem with almond butter. Going to try the blender next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a mini food processor and it worked wonders!! It hasn't separated since!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on starting your blog!!!! Very exciting!
    I look forward to reading your posts.
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Rebecca!! :) You actually inspired me! ha ha! I'm not one to create recipes like all the cool stuff you've done ( I love that recent chili recipe, btw) but I do like to show people how I eat, since everyone wonders, lol, and try to help them make the changes for themselves. It's pretty fun!!

      Delete