Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pizza With the Bread Machine!

I made pizza Friday night for my baby sitter and the kids while my hubby, Scott, took me to a Valentine's Dinner at our church.  I made the dough in my bread machine and I used the tomato sauce recipe from Peas and Thank You...another good quick food processor recipe.  It is a very easy assembly for pizza!  Even though I grew up in an Italian American home, I used to be intimidated by pizza making because I thought it was too much work and questioned where I would find the time.  BUT with a bread machine, it cuts out a lot of the time to make it.  My goal is to always figure out how to schedule my time and fit in preparation time for a healthy dinner with out spending all afternoon making it.  



The recipe I use for my dough is the "Easy Whole-Grain Pizza Dough" recipe from the book Vegan Lunch Box by Jennifer McCann.  I can make two 16 inch pizzas with this dough.  

Here is the recipe...place the ingredients in your bread machine in this order...

1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons olive OR canola oil
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour (I add my 1 Tablespoon of wheat germ per 1 cup of flour in this recipe, too...see February 3rd's post)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground corn meal
...make your "volcano" and place in it...
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Set your bread machine to the pizza dough cycle...

When the pizza dough cycle is complete place your dough on a floured surface...AND preheat your oven to 450 degrees.


Divide your dough in half to make 2 pies...roll out your dough to form your pizza crust.


Place them on your baking sheets.



When crusts are ready, bake them in your preheated oven for 5 minutes before putting on your sauce and toppings...I have found that when doing this, it is easier to "decorate" your pie before completely cooking it.  Plus, in my opinion, it does make a nice crust, too...don't forget to slice open those air pockets after baking!  :)


At this point, you can also freeze your crusts to save for a later dinner, and then use them for a future quick meal.  I froze one of my crusts, by wrapping it in plastic wrap, since I didn't need both of them Friday night.  


After baking the crust, it is time to add some flavor!  

1 cup of your favorite home made tomato sauce per pie
2 cups mozzarella or soy mozzarella per pie

I also add veggies at this time, too, or crumbled "sausage" that I have made...see February 8th's post...you can add whatever topping you desire!



Place your pie in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes.  I like the cheese to be bubbly and lightly golden...  

MANGIA!

No comments:

Post a Comment