Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Potato Corn Chowder, Veganized

Quick post today...

I took out a recipe I haven't made in a while.  It's a veganized chowder my brother and I made once from a soup cookbook...I don't remember which cookbook it was...but anywho, it's a good one.


Potato Corn Chowder

1 cup uncooked small pasta (I used alphabets to make it fun...we like our soups chunky...but pasta is optional)

2 Tablespoons vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)

1 medium onion, chopped

1/4 cup chopped celery (that came to about 1 small celery rib)

3 1/2 cups chopped white potato (I used Russett)

3 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I use a vegetarian "chicken" broth powder)

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon dried parsley

2 1/2 cup soy milk  (I used Silk Original)

2 1/2 cups frozen corn 

salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente, and set aside.

Melt butter in a large pot and saute onion and celery until tender.


Add broth, potato, garlic powder and parsley, and cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender.


When potatoes are cooked, add the milk and corn. Heat through.
Once heated through, with a slotted spoon, scoop out about 2/3 of potato veggie mixture and process in food processor.  Be sure to pulse it because you don't want it to look like wet mashed potatoes.  Try to leave it chunky.  Doing this, makes the soup thicker.



Once processed, pour back into the pot, add the cooked pasta, and season with salt and pepper.  Heat through again and serve!  

No comments:

Post a Comment