Friday, February 3, 2012

My Mom's Delicious Whole Wheat Bread Machine Bread

     Today became a "stuff to do around the house" day...ran out to the post office and the library...finished this week's lessons with Benjamin...and baked some bread!  


















I did start the day off with some breakfast.  That's sometimes hard for me because I'm always figuring out what every one else is eating first, and then I wind up eating something I probably didn't need to eat.  The life of a mom!  I had a cup of cooked oatmeal with 2 tablespoons of PURE maple syrup.  Stay away from that pancake syrup!  You want to consume natural sugars!  Target and Wal Mart sell it for less than the market.  You can also put some honey on your oatmeal, too.  For the oats, I buy the old fashioned rolled oats.  You should make oatmeal from scratch rather than buying the instant packaged stuff.  Save the instant for a camping trip. The best to buy is the steel cut oats.  That is the whole kernel cut into pieces.  Steel cut oats are the most nutritious (and they taste better), but take 20 minutes to cook.  The next best is the rolled oats.  That's what I buy.  The oats are rolled flat to make them easier to cook.  And then the quick cooking oats is as good as the rolled.  It only cooks quicker because it's the rolled oats cut into smaller pieces.  They are all nutritious!  


The kids had a midmorning snack.  I like to give them something light.  They are always hungry again around 10 AM, but if I give them crackers or something similar, they're not hungry for lunch.  I like the Archer Farms twisted fruit ropes by Target.  Sweetened with fruit juice and contains no gelatin.  Perfect!  Does anyone know what gelatin is???...Uh huh...


  


For lunch, I finished up the last of the "cheese" from last nights dinner and made myself a grilled "cheese" sandwich with it.  While throwing lunch together, I ate a jerky.  This jerky, I found at the health food store.  They are awesome!  There are different flavors, but my two favorites are Texas BBQ and Hickory Smoked.  Nope, it's not real jerky, but soy!  Soy is an excellent source of protein!  The jerky is made by Primal Spirit Foods.  I also found this product on Amazon and AllStarHealth.com by the case.  They seem to be the cheapest at All Star Health.  For those of you counting Weight Watchers points, they are only 2 points, so they are a hardy snack, but light.  


Lunch for the kids, I made pita pizzas.  They are so quick and easy.  I made the pizzas with whole wheat pitas, real mozzarella (the vegan stuff is either hard to find or expensive by me), and some tomato sauce I had in the cabinet.  When I need a quick lunch and there's no tomato sauce left over, I use the jarred stuff...sigh...I do have a couple rockin' home made sauce recipes I will share in the future.  I baked the pita pizzas on 400 for about 12 minutes.  Easy peasy and the kids are happy!


After lunch I threw together my mother's whole wheat bread in to the bread machine.  I place the ingredients in the machine, in order, from the top and down so I'm protecting the yeast from activating prematurely from the water and the salt.  For additional nutrition, which I found from Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron, for every cup of flour you use in a baking recipe, add 1 tablespoon of wheat germ.  Basically, what I do is take my measuring cup, place a tablespoon of wheat germ in there first, and then top it off with the flour to measure 1 cup.   Wheat germ is 3% of the wheat kernel, but it contains almost all of the nutrients of the kernel.  You can find vitamin E, oils, and unsaturated fatty acids in the germ.  The germ is removed from the kernel when the whole wheat is made into flour.  Wheat germ is perishable, so I keep it in a mason jar in my fridge, or if I order it in bulk, I throw most of it in the freezer.


Here's the recipe!  So easy!     
1 cup water plus 2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dried yeast






And the finished product!




This is the same bread recipe I had used to make my grilled cheese sandwiches last night.  It's really good toasted with some spreadable fruit, too.  :)


Tonight I was treated with a night out to myself...so I made Traditional Macaroni and Cheez from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak for the family.  From seeing what I made yesterday, I sometimes use the same cookbook for different recipes a few days in a row.  It's not the store bought mac and cheese, but it's very tasty and completely dairy free!




For me, tonight, I had alone time with a bowl of chinese, in the food court, at the mall...no more chinese from the food court!!!  BLEH!!  I keep buying it and I feel like I have a rock in my stomach afterwards!  Even just vegetable fried rice and a spring roll...I'm sticking with Subway's Veggie Delite with the veggie patty from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment