Monday, February 6, 2012

Seitan

Today I made a couple of things.  Last night, I took some "roast" out of the freezer that I had made in the crock pot a few weeks back.  Today, I processed it to look like ground meat for some chili (recipe link below) tonight.  It's amazing the things you can do with "wheat meat" as some people call it.  I also had made some seitan cutlets, too, which I will bread later in the week for a dinner.  I made some hummus as well!

What is seitan?  The easiest way to tell you is to click here.  It all starts with gluten flour.  The gluten is the protein from wheat...there's some of your protein in case you're wondering how vegetarians get protein in their diet...when water is added to gluten flour and cooked, it becomes seitan.  

I like to make seitan from scratch rather than buy pre-made at the store.  It's cheaper, and you can buy gluten flour in bulk, which is also cheaper, and make different sized pieces for your "meat."  You can make a roast, cutlets, nuggets, and ground "meat" this way.  You can also marinate it, and when you cook the gluten, you can simmer it in different broths to change the flavor.  You can use broths with soy sauce to give it more of a beefy flavor, or vegetarian chicken flavored broth powders to give it more of a chicken flavor.  I have even made, "pepperoni," "sausage," and "ham" by using the right seasonings.  I fooled my mother-in-law Christmas day when I had made a lasagna with "sausage" in it.  You can find so many recipes for seitan just by browsing the internet.  VegWeb.com is the place to start!  If it's not in your budget to buy cookbooks, go there! 

To make my ground "meat," I had made a roast from Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak...who also wrote The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook...and figured out a way to make it i the crock pot.  Then with my food processor, I processed it until it had the right consistency.  Now I can take that and add it to almost anything that calls for ground meat.  Please note, ground seitan is not exactly the same as real ground meat.  It is an excellent replacer, but it doesn't hold together the same.  In recipes, people create ways to form meat balls and meat loaf to hold it together using ground seitan.  It can be done!

The recipe for the chili I made tonight where I added the ground seitan is here...Hearty Chili Mac.  All-American Vegetarian uses 8 ounces of Morningstar Farms Burger Crumbles.  I replaced that with 8 ounces of my ground seitan.  The blog this recipe is from is a good one, too!  I recommend you check out All-American Vegetarian's other recipes!  She has some pretty good stuff on her site! 

And as for the cutlets I made, I use the recipe "The Fluffiest Juiciest Gluten Steaks You've Ever Eaten" from VegWeb.com.  It's pretty tasty!  When the steaks are done simmering in the pot, I brown them on my griddle with some garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.  Then I bread them later.  I do the usual breading with flour, egg, and whole wheat bread crumbs...I'll post pictures of those cutlets later this week  :)    


The hummus I made today is from the cookbook Peas and Thank You by Sarah Matheny.  Great book!  I think every vegetarian should have this book in their cookbook library!  The hummus recipe in there is awesome!!  Here's the recipe...

1 - 14 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve liquid)

2 Tablespoons tahini

1/2 teaspoon salt (the cookbook had 1 t, but for me, it was too much)

2 Tablespoons lemon juice

2 teaspoons minced garlic (that's about 2 medium sized cloves)

1/2 teaspoon cumin

3 Tablespoons of the reserved liquid from the chickpeas

Throw it all in the food processor and process until smooth and creamy.  Refrigerate!

Anyways, buy the book!

I finished the day off by making vegan Mexican Snickerdoodles...with out the Mexican (cayenne)...they were really good!  I took the recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.  This book has tons of cookie recipes that are 100% dairy free.

4 comments:

  1. Sound delicious !!! Not sure if I would be a successful cook, without having seen it prepared, or tasted it to see if mine came out the same. One day I may just get daring enough to try it tho...... :) Susan G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it takes practice to get in the routine of making it. This is how I grew so it's something I've been used to eating and making. Let me know when you get daring :) I can help you out!

      Delete
  2. You have motivated me to make seitan! I always buy it!!! Thanks for the mention, too :)
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he...sweet!!! It's so easy!! My mother taught me how easy it was to make. It is time consuming though...but if you make a lot, it's so easy to freeze! I freeze it in chunks, cutlets, grounds, and even whole pieces by the pound...and you are so welcome! I'm always on your blog checking out your recipes! You got some good stuff! So worth recommending to others :)

      Jamie

      Delete