Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies...the Best!

I wasn't planning on doing a post tonight...but I had to share this recipe...


After I had made dinner tonight...which turned out okay...I decided to whip up a batch of vegan chocolate chip cookies.  They came out amazing!  I think it's the best recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies I have found yet!  The only down side of the recipe is that silken tofu or soft tofu is used as the binder (aka egg) and you would have to open up a whole box or container of tofu just to get 1/3 cup of it.  I had made a pasta dish for dinner tonight that called for some silken tofu in the sauce and I had some of the silken tofu left over.  So, I used it for the cookies.  I think that is the only time I would make this recipe, if I had left over silken tofu.  It's so worth it if you are a lover of chocolate chip cookies.

The recipe came from La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy.  This cookbook is another one of my faves.  I have used it for many recipes.  I did change two things on the recipe.  I changed the sugar to brown sugar because the brown sugar makes the cookies chewy.  And I also used 1 cup of chocolate chips rather than the 3/4 cup in the original recipe.  We love chocolate chips!  Here it is...

Rachel's Chocolate Chip Cookies...with a few of my changes...

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine the following in a large bowl...
2 cups flour (I used unbleached all purpose flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup brown sugar

In your food processor or with your mixer, combine the following...I used my food processor, of course...
3/4 cup vegan soy margarine OR butter ( I use Earth Balance)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup silken tofu OR soft tofu (I used Mori Nu extra-firm silken tofu)

 
Next, scoop the tofu mixture into your flour mixture...add the chips...mix well...I used my hands to mix it all together.

Scoop cookies on to greased baking sheet...shape and flatten the cookies.
Bake for 10 minutes.  It will be gooey in the center, but I've learned that after they cool, it's not gooey anymore.  I thought they were still not cooked through, but they were!  

Eat up!!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks! The cookies turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! :) It's a great recipe. Makes the cookies have a nice texture. Glad you enjoyed them!!

      -Jamie

      Delete
  2. These look really good, I will try them soon! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Eva! They are definitely worth making! :)

      -Jamie

      Delete
  3. Could I replace the flour with gluten free flour? Would it change the consistency in anyway? Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, hmmm...to be honest, I'm not really sure. I found this article...it says for cookies, you can, but these are vegan...I'm curious to know myself.

      http://www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/baking-with-gluten-free-flour

      ~Jamie

      Delete