Friday, March 9, 2012

Easy Zucchini Bread

I needed to make some more snacks for the family.  I'm really trying to avoid buying snacks when I could make them.  Muffins, cookies, and quick breads are all good snacks for the kids through out the day or for the hubby to take to work.  So, I took the zucchini bread recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and veganized it.  There were a few recipes online, but they seemed similar to what I had in front of me, or had ingredients I didn't have.  Here's a simple version and pretty tasty!  It's moist, but it's not as moist as I'd like it to be.  Using oil instead of apple sauce would make it more moist if you want to give that a shot.  I used only apple sauce because I like to cut back on the fat. Try it out and let me know what you think!  😉


Better Homes and Gardens Zucchini Bread...Veganized

You can find a printable version of this recipe HERE.

3/4 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 cup sugar ( a bit much, but most of the recipes, in the little time I had to search out, seemed to have just as much)

1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)

1/2 cup apple sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients:  both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground nutmeg.


In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sugar, grated zucchini, and apple sauce.


Combine the zucchini mixture with the dry mixture.


Pour batter into a lightly greased loaf pan.


Bake for 55 to 60 minutes.


Let cool before slicing.  
We love zucchini bread with a little bit of cream cheese.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment