Friday, March 23, 2012

Ravioli's Made with Wonton Wrappers

Today was productive!  Tried some new things, too.  I made a new recipe for lunch taken from another really cool blog and then decided to experiment for dinner...

....see below for recipe...


For breakfast, we had steel cut oats with some maple syrup.  I think steel cut oats are way better because of the chewy texture.  I never made it for the kids before, but they ate it right up.  I found online, that you can make steel cut oats in the rice cooker.  So, I tried it.  Definitely worked!  You can't just set it up and walk away though.  At least not toward the end of cooking.  Once the oats start to get tender, you may want to stir it a bit and watch it until it all gets creamy because it seemed like it was going to start sticking to the bottom if I didn't stir it.  It didn't seem to take as long as cooking in the pot, so it was definitely worth the try.

To make in the rice cooker, do 1 part oats to 3 parts water...I made 1 cup of oats and added 3 cups of water...enough for my son, my daughter, and I.


For lunch, I tried a new recipe from the blog Weelicious.  The blog is full of great recipes for the entire family with a focus on babies and toddlers.  We all know it's a struggle to get kids to eat!  This blog is a help!  The recipe I tried today was Italian Parmesan Corncakes.  I didn't make them as pretty as the Weelicious picture, but they were tasty!  The kids really enjoyed them.  I used Galaxy Foods Rice Parmesan Cheese and Silk Organic Original Soy Milk.  Check out the rest of the blog when you get a chance.  You might find some good recipes that are helpful to get your kids to eat!


And last, for dinner, my experiment!  This is probably a disgrace to my Italian heritage, but I made raviolis out of wonton wrappers.  I took ideas from other recipes I had found online and did my own thing.   It worked!  And it was delicious!  By using the wrappers, I cut out the step of making the dough to save some time. 

So, here's what I did...


Wonton Raviolis  

For the wonton wrappers, I used Nasoya's wonton wrappers.  They are not vegan because they have eggs in them.  The package contains 48.  With the ricotta recipe below, I was able to make all 48 and have about 2 tablespoons of ricotta left over.

I started out by making the ricotta for the filling.  I made it vegan with extra-firm tofu.  The recipe I followed for the ricotta is from one of my favorite blogs I like to follow, All American Vegetarian.  The link to the recipe itself is Lasagna 2 Ways.  Just scroll down to the section for the ricotta, and follow the instructions there.  It is definitely a good ricotta recipe!

Follow the recipe from the link above...you'll need your food processor or your hands!

...then I set it aside...


Lay out each wrapper on a dry surface and scoop 1 teaspoon of ricotta on to the wrapper.


Then wet the edges with a little bit of water, fold the wrappers from corner to corner, and seal the edges.


As I made them I set them aside in a bake pan with a little bit of corn meal to keep them from sticking together.


In a large pot, filled a little over half way with water, bring water to a boil.  One at a time, carefully place raviolis in the pot.  Boil the raviolis until they are tender, about 2 to 5 minutes.


When done cooking, with a slotted spoon to drain water, scoop raviolis out of the pot and serve immediately in dishes.  I have learned that if you put them in a serving bowl with some tomato sauce, they still stick together.  They were hard to get out of the bowl to serve unless I was really careful.



We topped it with a favorite tomato sauce recipe and some Galaxy Foods Rice Parmesan.

 The texture of the cooked wonton wasn't exactly the same as an authentic ravioli, but it served its purpose and was still yummy.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you liked my "ricotta"! Those wontons look delicious - what a great idea!
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that recipe! :) They came out pretty good! The hubby was impressed! I've heard using wontons to make ravioli before. I was hesitant, but after a little research, I was like "why not?!?" ha ha! It worked...

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    I can't wait to try this! Buying the wonton noodles from peapod.com right now! Oh and FYI - the oatmeal recipe you mentioned above... you can also use those same oats overnight in a crock pot so you can wake up to a warm breakfast! ;)
    Alton Brown has a recipe for that on Food Network . com (no spaces, obviously). I'm not crazy about anything tart and his recipe uses cranberries, but it was still okay. Next time I make the oatmeal one I'm going to add a little brown sugar and omit the cranberries. Or maybe I'll try dried bananas with peanut butter!! OOOH. lol

    Anywhoo - thank you for posting your ravioli recipe, and I'll let you know how it turns out!

    -Jen S. (Lake Grove, NY)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen!

      Glad you found this post helpful!! :) I haven't been up-keeping with my blog these days because I became pregnant and had a beautiful baby boy. I'm enjoying him so much, but alas, he is my third and transitions are still happening here. It's been fun but hasn't been easy.

      I'll have to get that steel cut oats in the crock pot recipe! I love steel cut, but it does take longer for a quick morning to make. Thank you for letting me know about it! :)

      Let me know how those ravi's come!

      Jamie

      Delete