Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Strawberries and Yogurt...Some "Meatloaf", Too

Yeah, it's been a while...I haven't been on top of my game, especially with blogging.  I haven't really tried a whole lot of new stuff either.  I kind of go through phases with new recipes.  I make something new every night and then I loose my momentum.  Please bare with me  :)  I may have been slowing down, but am not stopping.

So, today, I'll just blog what I have eaten.  It may give you some ideas to try some new stuff.

For breakfast, I had a very refreshing bowl of a half cup of Stonyfield French Vanilla Low-fat Yogurt.  My fave!...with about a cup of chopped ruby red strawberries and 2 tablespoons of my mother's Great Granola.  YUM!


Strawberries have been one of my favorite fruits these days.  I can't get enough of them!  

Lunch was leftovers...

Dinner was a new recipe I found on Happy Herbivore's  blog.  I have been searching for a really good veggie meat loaf recipe.  I thought I found one on VegWeb.com, but I think I found a better one.  Easy, tasty, and quick!  The longest part is the baking.  Since I didn't change anything, here's the link to the recipe.  You would need a package of Gimme Lean Beef-style ground "meat" to make it.  Gimme Lean can be pricey though.  When it's on sale, I grab a package or two for a quick meal when I can't make my imitation meat from scratch.

The recipe suggests baking for 1 hour and 30 minutes, but the recipe says it could be baked less and to check it, depending on your oven.  I could have baked it for a maximum of 1 hour and 15.  It was moist, but the edges got a tad crispy.  Still tasty though!  We topped it with a mushroom gravy recipe from VegWeb.com.  Another favorite of mine.


I can't wait to try it tomorrow, leftover.  I'm sure it makes a great sandwich!

We had the loaf with a side of baked potato...another fave of mine sine I was a kid...with a little bit of Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette...better than using butter, or even vegan butter...I love baked potato with dressing rather than butter.  Even when we eat out, I may ask for baked potato with some dressing on the side instead of fries to cut back on calories...and it's better for you!


I also used my new steamer today, my brother gave me for my birthday.  Great invention!  I steamed some carrots until they just began to soften and still had a bit of a crisp.  I set the timer and walked away!  The way I like it!  I do like the simplicity of the 1800's BUT I do appreciate the technology of today, no doubt!  

3 comments:

  1. You motivated me to make a loaf - I'm using a recipe from HH, but in the recipe I found she uses black beans. I'm going to use lentils instead. We'll see how that goes! :)
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen "meat" loaves made with lentils. Never tried it though...if you decide to, do share! :D

      Delete